Joplin is a ‘free, open-source note-taking and to-do application, which can take many notes organized into notebooks.
The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged, and modified either from the applications directly or from your text editor’ and is a leading Note-taking tool in the backup & sync category.
There are more than 100 alternatives to Joplin for various platforms, including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and Online / Web-based. But, of course, the best alternative is Obsidian.
However, it’s not free, so if you’re looking for a free alternative, you could try Standard Notes or Microsoft OneNote. Other great apps like Joplin are Typora, Google Keep, Simplenote, and NoteLedge.
Joplin alternatives are mainly Note-taking Tools but may also be Todo List Managers or Text Editors. Filter by these if you want a narrower list of alternatives or looking for specific functionality of Joplin.
Best Joplin Alternatives
Obsidian is a powerful knowledge base on top of a local folder of plain text Markdown files. It is both a Markdown editor and a knowledge base app. With Obsidian and the third-party Dataview plugin, you can organize your notes like a database.
Add some metadata to them, and you’ll be able to create queries that filter your notes according to various criteria, presenting them in ways that make sense.
- Graph View
- Outgoing Links
- It is a versatile toolbox – with 25 core plugins, 609 community plugins, and 128 themes, plus custom styling, you can tweak Obsidian to work and look exactly how you want it.
- Mix and Match
- Make your own Obsidian Plugin
- Future Proof Format
- Plain text files let you do various sync, encryption, and data processing on top of it. Obsidian plays nice with Dropbox, Cryptomator, and any software that works with plain text files.
- Offline Accessible – Enjoy reading and working on your notes anytime, anywhere.
You can hold all types of data quickly and securely in Standard Notes, from tasks and to-dos to spreadsheets, markdown, and rich text. In addition, standard Note offers end-to-end encryption for note-taking; capture your notes, files, and life’s work and store them all in one secure place.
- Capture and store all action with the note editor
- Keep your data safe and secure with several data protection options, including an encrypted email backup sent nightly along with long-term revision history for every Note.
- Long Terms Revision History
- Email and Cloud Backups
- Two-Factor Authentication
- Create Nested Folder
- Note pinning, archiving, and recovery
- Password protected notes
- Passcode, Face ID, and fingerprint locking
- Easy export and import data
OneNote is a digital notebook that automatically saves and syncs your notes with OneNote App. Type details in your notebook or insert them from other apps and web pages. Take handwritten notes or draw your ideas. Use highlighting and tags for easy follow-up.
- Get organized in a OneNote notebook and divide it into sections and pages. Then, with easy navigation and search, you’ll always find your notes right where you left them.
- Revise your notes with type, highlighting, or ink annotations. With OneNote across all your devices, you’ll never miss a flash of inspiration.
- Share and collaborate
- Draw your thoughts and annotate your notes using a stylus or your finger.
- Record audio notes, insert online videos, and add files.
- Use the OneNote Web Clipper to save content with a single click.
Typora is an open-source, cross-platform text editor that allows writers to create high-quality work and add formatting elements to plaintext documents. It’s available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. The first thing you’ll notice when logging into Typora is its clean and simple user interfaces. It will give you a seamless experience as both a reader and a writer. It removes the preview window, mode switcher, source code syntax symbols, and other excessive distractions.
- Distraction-free editor
- Unlimited Live Previews
- The simple yet powerful editor
- It allows you to manage your files easily, providing both a file tree panel and articles (file list) side panel.
- Automatically see the Outline structure of your documents in the outline panel, which allows you to quickly go through the document and jump to any section with one click.
- Export to PDF with bookmarks. Go further and export or import. More formats, including docx, OpenOffice, LaTeX, MediaWiki, Epub, etc., can be exported or imported.
- Focus Mode for distraction-free writing & TypeWriter Mode always keeps the currently active line in the middle of the window.
- Auto Pair
- Fully Customizable CSS Themes
Google Keep is a note-taking tool that comes as part of the free, web-based Google Docs Editors suite offered by Google. The service also contains Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, Google Drawings, Google Forms, and Google Sites. In addition, Google Keep lets you connect and sync your notes to other Google Workspace programs like Google Docs and Google Calendar. You can use Google Keep in any web browser or download the app on your Android or iOS device.
- It allows users to make different notes, including texts, lists, images, and audio.
- Easy to set reminders, integrated with Google Now, with options for time or location.
- Text from images can be extracted using optical character recognition technology.
- Keep can convert text notes into checklists.
- Easy to choose between a single-column view and a multi-column view
- Notes can be color-coded, with white, red, orange, yellow, green, teal, blue, or gray options.
The easiest way to keep notes. Light, clean, and free. Simplenote is now available for iOS, Android, Mac, and the web. It is a note-taking app with Markdown support. In addition to being available via most web browsers, cross-platform apps are available on Android, Linux, Windows, iOS, and macOS.
- Notes are available across all your devices, automatically and in real-time. There’s no “sync” button: It just works.
- Stay organized with Tag.
- Share a to-do list, post some instructions, or publish your notes online.
- Markdown Support
- And it’s completely free of cost