Elgg – A powerful open source social networking platform
Elgg is an open source social networking platform, designed to provide flexibility and openness in all kinds of social environments, from a campus wide social network for your university, school or college or an internal collaborative platform for your organization through to a brand-building communications tool for your company and its clients.
It offers number of social media tools to build a fully-featured social environment, including: blogging, microblogging, wikis, collecting of news using feeds aggregation and file creation and sharing features. Everything can be shared among users with access controls and everything can be cataloged by tags as well.
Elgg runs on a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) environment and it is easy to install and configure. With a little PHP knowledge, you can get your social networking site up and running in no time.
Features of Elgg – social networking platform
- Profiles : It comes with default profile fields that can be extended or completely customized by the site administrator.
- Activity Streams : The granular activity stream feature ensures you keep up to date with all site activity.
- Blogging / Microblogging : Blogging and microblogging functionality that is both powerful, yet simple to use.
- Pages : Create documents collaboratively with full control over read and write access.
- RSS / JSON : All content – such as blog posts, activity streams and group discussions – is available in both RSS and JSON formats.
- Easy to add widgets to user profiles.
- Search for your favorite videos on services such as YouTube and add them to your Elgg video gallery.
- Share your web resources with others in your company, group or course.
- Collaborate around specific topics via public, private or hidden groups.
- Easy to control who can access your content.
- Expose functionality through the REST API by building a plugin and either publish the API for other developers to build clients, or provide your own.
- Upload and share documents with the rest of your network.
- Using the powerful Tidypics plugin, let your users create their own photo galleries.
Download : Elgg v1.7.1 version