Best Free and Open Source Backup Software
Here is a 15 useful Best Free and Open Source Backup Software that gives complete backup solutions to your files, data, database, system, and server.
FBackup is a free and Open Source Backup Software for personal and business use that back up all your important files and folders to your external or native hard drives.
With FBackup, you can create many backup copies and schedule them to run routinely at a given time.
All backup copies save in zip format additionally help you to backup all files and folders even the files are locked or in use by utilizing Windows Shadow Copy features.
2 Areca Backup
Areca Backup is a simple, easy to use and free personal backup solution that lets you choose a set of files or directories to back up.
You can choose the place and methods to store your backup files like simple file copy or as a zip file format.
With Areca Backup, you can work together with archives and files they’ve, browse, and monitor completely different versions of specific data, recover and view particular files, merge a set of archives.
3 Amanda Network Backup
Amanda is known as “Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver.”
It is a network backup and recovery software that allows network administrators to set up a single master backup server to back up multiple hosts over the network so that you can monitor disks, optical media, or cloud-based storage systems.
BackupPC is a Perl based system backup tool with a web-based frontend for Linux and windows.
It lets you completely backup Linux and windows based systems right into a server’s disk.
- File Level de-duplication
- Inbuilt Compression Scheme
- Synthetic Backups to reduce network traffic
Bacula is an Open Source, enterprise-grade network backup and restore solution to manage backup, recovery, and verification of backup data across a network of computers of different kinds.
it’s an ideal network backup tool for Linux, Unix, Mac, and Windows. – Bacula Network backup
6 Box Backup
Box Backup is an open-source fully automatic backup system that backup all data on the server in files on a file system, so need to use any particular device, archive, or tape is required.
- All backed up data is stored on the server in files on a filesystem
- All data is encrypted
- Old versions of files on the server are stored as changes from the current version
- Choice of backup behavior, optimized for document or server backup
- Designed to be easy and cheap to run a server.
7 Cobian Backup
8 Comodo Backup
Comodo Backup is a powerful yet easy to use, free data backup software to create an instant backup for your data in various storage media to protect your data against damage or loss.
It has simple, easy to use task-oriented user interface which helps novice user to take backup instantly easily. – Comodo Backup
9 Create Synchronicity
Create Synchronicity is a powerful yet lightweight open source backup and synchronization tool that can help you protect your files, and keep your data up to date. Available in multiple foreign languages.
- Create synchronicity has an easy and intuitive interface.
- Configuring a backup is easy and fast.
- Scheduling makes it easy.
- Lets you select exactly what you want to backup.
- You can refine your selection based on file types, or using regular expressions.
- Readable and detailed logs after every synchronization
- You can refine your selection based on file types, or using regular expressions.
- Easily generates readable and detailed logs after every synchronization
Duplicati is a free, open-source, backup client that securely saves encrypted, incremental, compressed backups on cloud storage services and remote file servers.
It works with many cloud hosting services such as Amazon S3, Backblaze (B2), Box, Dropbox, FTP, Google Cloud, Google Drive, and many more!
Duplicati is licensed under LGPL and available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- AES-256 encryption to secure all your data before it is uploaded.
- Uploads a full backup and stores smaller, incremental updates afterward to save bandwidth and storage space.
- A scheduler keeps backups up-to-date automatically.
- Encrypted backup files are transferred to FTP, Cloudfiles, WebDAV, SSH (SFTP), Amazon S3, and others.
- Allows backups of folders, document types
- Easy to use UI and a command-line tool.
- Filters, deletion rules, transfer and bandwidth options
Partimage is opensource disk backup software. It saves partitions having a supported filesystem on a sector basis to an image file.
Though it runs under Linux, Windows and most Linux file systems are supported.
The image file could be compressed to save lots of disk space and transfer time and could be split into multiple files to be copied to CDs or DVDs.
Partitions could be saved throughout the community using the partimage community to help or utilizing Samba / NFS (Network File Systems).
This gives the flexibility to carry out a tough disk partition recovery after a disk crash.
- Real only data
- Multi files Sync
- Backup media can be a file on another partition on the same disk, another local disk, or a network-attached file.
- Quick & Simple Restore
- Files that were deleted at the time of the backup are not on another media that needs to be restored causing deleted files to be resurrected.
- A great choice for copying the file system on another disk or at another location.
QtdSync is a powerful yet straightforward portable backup tool for windows.
The software backup your local as well as remote data into two mode one is Differential mode, and another one is Synchronization mode.
- User can also schedule their backup by date and time on drive plugin
- support for command line and Folder binding for specific drives
- Easy configuration of multiple virtual directories
- Drag and drop
- user account management
- easy to sync multiple files at a time.
- Fast & Simple Restore
- No recovery of deleted files
13 Redo Backup and Recovery
Redo Backup and Recovery is a simple yet portal backup and recovery tool that backup all your documents and settings, restored them to the exact place where the last snapshot capture.
Backup and restore an entire system in minutes with a point and click interface anyone can use.
It is a Live CD, so it doesn’t matter which operating system you have (Windows or Linux).
- A simple user interface for beginners.
- Write the image disk to CD or USB stick
- Automatically finds shared folders on your network
- Extra tools for managing drives and partitions
- Web browser for downloading drivers, reading the documentation
- File Explorer for copying and editing files even when the system won’t boot
- Based on Debian and partclone.
- partition editing
- Runs from live CD/USB
- no installation needed.
14 Get Backup
Get Backup is a free backup software for Mac that combines the various backup features like disk cloning, scheduling, compressing, and also help you to restore the existing backup on any computer without using Get Backup.
it also offers tools that automatically sync the files and folder in two different locations, so both of your computers up-to-date always.
- Advanced Mac Backup Software
- backup, archive, disk cloning, and folder sync software for Mac
- create bootable and encrypted backups
- Synchronize files and folders on your Mac with another computer or mounted drive using the sync features.
- Analyze functionality allows us to quickly define which files or folders will be synced.
- Choose between full or incremental backup archives, and even encrypt it using AES-128, AES-256, Blowfish, or Triple DES.
- Bootable Backups via Cloning
- Stealth Mode for Scheduled Backups
- Easily add data from iTunes, Photos, Mail, Contacts, and Documents folder.
- Restore files back to their original place, or to a location of your choice.
- Templates for Apple Photos, Mail, iTunes, Contacts, and the Documents folder.
- Exclude selected files and folders from a project list.
- Exclude files from the backup/sync by name and/or file type.
AceBackup is a powerful freeware tool to create completely secure backups of your data. Store your data on any local storage device, on CD, DVD, or on your remote FTP server.
- Create a new AceBackup project.
- Select the files and folders you wish to back up.
- Define security settings.
- Define the target of backup.
- Store your data on any local storage device.
- AceBackup has five different encryption algorithms to protect your data against unauthorized access.
- Remote FTP backups
- Enter the desired dates in the Scheduler and the program backs up your data at the dates and time selected.
- You can back up files without compression.
- Apply filter to exclude defined filename extensions.
- AceBackup supports several versions of stored and restored files. This enables you to store and restore a file in several versions.