15 Best Text Editors for Mac
A text editor is a computer program that allows the user to enter, change, store text files.
Text editors are often provided with operating systems or software development packages and can change configuration files and programming language source code.
Finding a Useful text editor For Mac was one of the challenging tasks, and here’s what we managed to collect.
15 Best Text Editors for Mac
1 ActiveState Komodo
ActiveState Komodo Edit is a Free, Open source, and the multilingual text editor allows you to edit a wide range of scripting and many template languages.
It offers advanced support for all major scripting languages, including in-depth autocomplete, calls tips, Vi emulation, and Emacs key bindings.
- Multilingual file support
- Standard editing features
- Syntax checking and coloring
- Modal Vi keybindings emulate navigation, text insertion, and command behavior.
- Emacs style key binding schemes supported.
- HTML, XML, and CSS files preview side-by-side or in a browser, using arbitrary files or URLs.
- Multilingual Input Method Editor (IME) support
- Code folding and snippets
- Multi-document editing
- Store virtually anything and Share a Toolbox with networked team members or distribute valuable Toolbox items to other Komodo users with the import/export function.
2 Aquamacs Text Editor
Aquamacs Text editor is an Aqua-native build of the powerful Emacs text editor for Mac OS X. Featuring Plug & Play and mac like user interface with pleasant fonts.
Extensive customization enables you to feel just right and interact well with your other applications.
The software is the best option for people who work with Text, HTML, LaTeX, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP.
It integrates perfectly with Mac thanks to its specially adapted user interface.
3 BBEdit For Mac
It provides an abundance of features for editing, searching, and manipulating prose, source code, and textual data.
- grep pattern matching
- Search and replace across multiple files (even unopened files on remote servers)
- project definition tools
- function navigation and syntax coloring for numerous source code languages
- code folding
- FTP and SFTP open and save
- Mac OS X Unix scripting support
- text and code completion
- A complete set of robust HTML tools
4 SKEdit – Text Editor for Mac
- Tabbed interface
- Project wise site management
- Code folding and code snippets
- Code hinting and completion.
- Syntax highlighting
- File uploading and remote editing (using FTP, SFTP, or WebDAV)
- Project wise search and replace by using regular expressions
- An HTML preview
- HTML Tidy integration
5 TextMate – Plain Text Editor For Mac
It supports all major programming languages, writing prose in structured formats such as LaTeX, Markdown, Textile, etc., blogging, running SQL queries, writing screenplays, doing your budget, and much more.
It has enough project management features to keep most users happy but otherwise kept lightweight with a clean and minimalistic UI.
6 Climacs – Emacs-like Text Editor For Mac
It’s a free Common lisp based text editor that has functional integration with other CLIM based applications.
It uses the Common Lisp Interface Manager (CLIM) library, called ESA, that provides an Emacs style user interface, rather than the regular CLIM UI.
7 CodeWarrior – IDE for Mac
CodeWarrior Development Studio is a complete Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the Macintosh.
It provides a highly visual and automated framework to accelerate the development of the most complex embedded applications.
8 Diakonos – Console Based Mac Text Editor
Diakonos is a free and Open Source customizable, usable Console based text editor that uses universal Macintosh/windows based keyboard shortcuts – Ctrl-C to copy, Ctrl-V to paste, Ctrl-O to open a file, Ctrl-S to save.
- arbitrary language scripting
- A customizable status line
- regular expression searching
- macro recording and playback
- A Multi-element clipboard
- multi-level undo
- customizable multilingual syntax highlighting
- with support for embedded languages
- completely customizable keyboard mapping
- customizable syntax highlighting
9 jEdit – Programmer Text Editor For Mac
It has a robust plugin architecture that allows downloading and installed plugin directly from jEdit using the “plugin manager” feature.
- tabbed window
- syntax highlighting
- source code editing
- File Drawer
- non-contiguous layout
- rectangular paste
- multiple file search and replace
- word completion
- smart index menu and Quote
- the sharp separation between Japanese and English
- smart URL link
10 SXEmacs – Open Source Text Editor
11 Sam – Multi-file Text Editor For Mac
SAM is an interactive Multi-file text editor for mac that combines cut and paste interactive editing with an unusual command language based on the composition of regular expressions.
The software developed in two programs: one is the ‘host part,’ runs on a Unix system and implements the command language, and provides file access.
The other is the ‘terminal part,’ runs asynchronously on a machine with a mouse and bitmap display, and supports the production and interactive editing.
12 Smultron – Text Editor For Mac
- Edit and save many different file types
- Syntax highlighting for many popular programming languages.
- Un/Comment Selection
- Mac Sync
- Command-line utility
- Multi-document search and replace with the option to use regular expressions
- Show Invisible Characters
- Drag-and-drop of files
- Code snippets
- HTML preview
- Easy to remove needless whitespace
- Entab and detab
13 TextWrangler For Mac
It provides syntax coloring support for all major programming languages such as ANSI C, C++, Fortran, Java, Object Pascal, Objective-C, Perl, Python, Rez, Ruby, Tcl, TeX, and Unix shell scripts.
- single and multi-file search & replace
- Flexible ‘grep’ style pattern-based search and replace based on PCRE
- Support for rectangular text selections
- Built-in text transformations
- Open and save files in Mac, Unix, and Windows line-ending formats
- Quoted text re-wrapper
- Multiple Undo and Clipboards
- Splittable editing windows
- Auto Indent
14 SubEthaEdit – Collaborative Text Editor For Mac
SubEthaEdit is a collaborative real-time text editor for Mac. It provides document-based collaboration where every member can type anywhere in the text without locking any parts of the version for other users, making it easy to use as a traditional text editor.
- Undo that works the way you do, without grouping too many edits.
- Blockedit – Edit on multiple lines at the same time.
- Live Web Preview
- Split and New Views
- Powerful Search and Replace
- Line Numbers, Folding and Selection
- Complete Command-line Tool.
- Full AppleScript Support
- Mojave Dark Mode
- Syntax Highlighting.
- Autocomplete for ActionScript.
- Syntax Styles
- Scripting – Modes can supply custom scripts to enhance the editing experience.
- With the live collaboration feature, you can connect to anyone in the local network.
15 Chocolat For Mac
Chocolat is a text editing tool for Mac that mixes native Cocoa with highly effective text editing functionality.
- Split editing
- Code completion
- Live errors
- Symbol list
- Vim mode
- Jump to definition
- Project find
- Go to file
- Web preview