8 Best Web development tools for Mac
Apple computers are well known for their simplicity and performance. These are the main reasons every web designer and developer uses Macs as their work computer. Finding Useful mac apps for web designers was one challenging task, and here’s how we collected the best web development tools for Mac.
Best Web Development Tools for Mac
1 TextMate for Mac
Textmate is a plain text editor with unique features that won the 2006 Apple Design Award for Best Web Development Tools for Mac.
It supports all major programming languages, blogging, executing SQL queries, writing screenplays, doing your budget, and more.
Features of TextMate
- collapsible text blocks — fold away the code you don’t want to see
- Ability to Search and Replace in a Project
- recordable macros — you don’t have to write a script to automate tedious work
- a CSS-inspired selector system that allows preferences and more to be applied to subsets of your
- Clipboard History
- Column Selections and Column Typing
- Auto-Pairing of Brackets and Other Characters
- Auto-Indent for Common Actions Like Pasting Text
- Dynamic Outline for Working With Multiple Files
- Expand Trigger Words to Code Blocks With Tab-able Placeholders
- Theme Syntax Highlight Colors
- Works As External Editor for (s)FTP Programs
2 BBEdit for Mac
BBEdit is another fully-featured professional HTML and text editor for Macintosh. It’s specially designed to give you high-performance features for editing, searching, and manipulating text.
Features of BBEdit :
- Edit in Results Windows and Disk Browsers
- Integration with MobileMe
- grep pattern matching
- Modeless Find/Replace Windows
- Project definition tools
- FTP and SFTP open and save
- Mac OS X Unix scripting support
- function navigation and syntax coloring for a variety of programming languages
- Search and replace across multiple files (even unopened files on remote servers)
- Character-level Find Differences
- Save/Copy as Styled Text
- text and code completion
- Search Xcode Projects
- Fix/ToDo Tracking
- Improved Autosave
- Code Folding
- Preview in MS Windows browsers
3 Espresso for Mac
Espresso has a unique Navigator that’s best compared to CSSEdit’s styles list. It shows the hierarchical structure of your documents, no matter how complex.
You can even drag around elements to reorganize your code! Espresso features an immensely powerful rule-based syntax engine, Core Syntax, that transforms your text documents into a semantic structure.
Features of Espresso:-
- Elegant syntax highlighting
- superior navigation
- code folding
- smart CodeSense
- contextual text snippets
- spell check
- rich extensibility
- raw speed: presenting a state-of-the-art text engine for code artists.
4 EditRocket for Mac
Features of EditRocket:-
- syntax highlighting
- code builders and sidekicks
- function and method navigators
- function lookup
- code and tag auto-completion
- regular expression search and replace
- bracket and tag matching
- HTML, CSS, and XML validators
- File Compare
5 Cyberduck for Mac
Cyberduck is a Mac browser that supports FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files, and Amazon S3. The program enables you to navigate vast folder structures effectively.
It gives you a fast glimpse of files using Quick Look. Integration with any external editor application simplifies and expedites the process of modifying file content.
In addition, Amazon CloudFront and Rackspace files can be readily configured to distribute cloud-based content.
6 transmits 3 for Mac.
Transmit 3 is a next-generation FTP (file transfer protocol), SFTP, S3 (Amazon.com file hosting), and iDisk/WebDAV client for Mac OS X.
It offers a clean drag-and-drop interface and powerful features set; transmit makes maintaining files and folders through the Internet as easy as the Mac!
Features of Transmit 3:
- Smart folder support
- Spotlight integration
- Automator actions
- Dashboard widget
- .Mac Sync
- Amazon S3 Support
- Edit any remote file in any app — even graphics!
- Column View
- Batch Downloading
- 100% Mac OS X-like
- Supercharged Favorites
- Previews with Zooming
- Set permissions on upload, automatically
- Server-to-Server Transfers
7 Yummy FTP for Mac
Yummy FTP is an FTP and SFTP client application for the Apple Macintosh.
It is built as native Mac OS X software from the ground up to provide a reliable, powerful, easy-to-use file transfer utility.
Features of Yummy FTP:
- Remote editing
- Apple Scriptable
- easy to customize
- View all files on the server and your Mac – text files, graphic files, movies, pdf, mp3s. Yummy FTP handles them easily, using its built-in viewers or Apple’s Quick Look.
- Whether you’re updating your website with the latest changes, making an FTP backup of your important data, or just about anything that involves keeping a local and remote copy in sync
- Drag & Drop FTP on your Desktop
- AutoRoute checkbox function
- Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) and Secure Socket Layer (FTPS), the universal standards for secure file transfer, are built right into the core of Yummy FTP’s file transfer engine.
- Automatically update your website overnight, every day, and make a weekly backup of your data files
- Automate your workflow with FTP Watcher
- Multi-threaded, BSD socket-powered connection manager purrs at minimal CPU usage.
- Double Your Efficiency with Dual Browse.
- Multilanguage-supported FTP client
- support for Growl notification system built for Mac
8 Fetch for Mac
Fetch is a reliable, feature-rich file transfer client for the Apple Macintosh with a UI that prioritizes simplicity and usability. It is compatible with many file transfer protocols, including FTP, SFTP, and FTP with TLS/SSL (FTPS), allowing it to be used with thousands of Internet service providers, web hosting firms, publishers, pre-press agencies, and other enterprises.
Features of Fetch:
- FTP, SFTP, and TLS/SSL support (FTPS)
- A file list modelled on Mac OS X Finder
- Droplet shortcuts with a Dashboard widget for fast uploading and tracking.
- Server-side file editing
- Quick Look server preview
- Mirroring folders
- WebView lets you view files in a browser and copy web addresses.
- Automatic upload resumption
- Automatic ZIP, StuffIt, and Gzip support.
- Bonjour (Rendezvous) support
- Unicode file names
- Automating repetitive tasks with Automator actions and AppleScript recording
- Full compatibility with Mac Snow Leopard, Mac X 10.5 Leopard, and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger